Friday, July 16, 2010

A universal truth of organizing

It's always the same.  Whenever I start organizing somewhere - it always gets a lot worse before it gets better.

I spent all day Sunday working in my sewing room.  I didn't sew a stitch.  I pressed and folded fabric and put it away.  I worked on various pieces of yardage that were stacked under the cutting table.  I pressed and folded a ton of fat quarters.   And scraps.  I cleared out one scrap box, but the other one under the longarm is still quite full.  I pressed and folded, and pressed and folded.  I ran out of drawers for the yardage and ended up with a stack on the cutting table.  I cleared off the front of the cutting table all the way across and pressed and folded all the miscellaneous leftover pieces that were there.

Today I took the afternoon off from work.  After a going-away lunch for a coworker, I came home and started thinking about what to do with my afternoon.  I even stopped at the quilt shop and didn't buy anything.  They have Horn sewing cabinets on sale - but their original price was almost $1000, so even on sale, I have other things I'd rather spend that kind of money on.

I went upstairs planning to start cutting fabrics for the Planet Patchwork mystery quilt that's running this Sunday, but that stack of folded yardage was still sitting on the cutting table.
So I decided I needed to go get some more stackable drawers to put it in.  One trip to Walmart later, I had four sets of plastic drawers - two for folded yardage, one wider set for tops ready to quilt, and one for scrapbooking paper.  I had to take my box of fabric scraps out from under the longarm to make room for the drawers for the yardage.  That's now sitting on the ironing board.  But all of the cotton yardage is now in drawers. The wider drawers fit very nicely in the alcove under the window.  There's even room to spare in those after I put all the tops in it out of the sweater box.  But I have to figure out what to do with the box I had there and I need to put that sweater box somewhere.

And I have a stack of flannel yardage sitting on the cutting table now - it needs a home.
Maybe this weekend I'll get some more drawers to replace the miscellaneous plastic boxes at the other end of the longarm and go one box at a time - more ironing and folding coming up for me.  But I really want an organized sewing room!  

No comments: