Sunday, December 18, 2011

Stash report - week 51, 18 December 2011

One more week left in 2011.  This has been a year of changes for us.  With DD and the 3 grandchildren moving in with us, I haven't had much sewing time for the last 6 months, but the time with the grandchildren (and my daughter) has been priceless.

I did do a little sewing yesterday.  The grandchildren are getting a toddler kitchen for Christmas, so I made an apron for the youngest (the other 2 got theirs last year), then made dishtowels and potholders for each of them (toddler size).  That used almost 3/4 yards between them.  I had a little more time, so made binding for the two quilts I quilted last week, and got the machine part of the binding done.  I did start hand stitching the back side of the binding on one of the quilts this morning.

The fabric in is FQs of blacks I picked up Friday - I'm pondering doing Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay mystery, and my stash doesn't have very many blacks.  

Numbers for this week:
In this week:                          2.25 yds
Out this week:                       1.31 yds

In this year:                          96.72 yds
Out this year:                       60.53 yds

Net for 2011:                       36.19 yds ADDED to stash.

There's been a lot of discussion over the last couple of weeks about whether or not folks are doing the stash report next year.  Over the last 2 years I've tracked stash, I've added both years, but am definitely more aware of what I buy.  I've also been mostly focused on finishing UFOs and really think before I start something new.  Of course, if I don't start something new, I'm unlikely to really rack up a lot of fabric use, other than as backings.  I plan to continue tracking, because I've already shifted my mindset about buying fabric - and my storage drawers are full.    I'll also continue to work on finishing UFOs, but plan to make more new starts in 2012 - and try to shop stash first.

Check in with Judy at Patchwork Times to see how everyone else is doing this week.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I've been tracking stash usage about 4 years, and I think I'm close to break even over all. It does keep me from buying too much(most of the time).

Amy said...

Your grandkids will love the kitchen stuff. My Dad made my sister and I a play stove and refrigerator when we were little. We loved it.