Friday, January 22, 2010

Vacation week

I've been on vacation this week, and have spent part of the week quilting.  On Tuesday, I finished putting together the top to my New Year's Eve Mystery from this NYE.  Yesterday it got borders and I quilted it last night.  The binding is sewn on now, waiting to be turned to the back and stitched down.  That will be an evening exercise.  I cut out and prepped the pieces for 2 sets of applique snow globes for a swap on The Quilting Post.  They're due to be mailed by 15 Feb, so will be some evening stitching for the next couple of weeks - or maybe lunch-time stitching at work.  We're allowed to swap up to 5 sets, but I doubt I'll get that many finished.  They should make a cute wallhanging.

I also pulled out another UFO that was a mystery last year - it's bigger than I remembered - 60 x 60 without borders.  I got some red fabric yesterday for borders and backing - that may be the next thing on the machine.  DH is home today but will be gone for the weekend, so I'll sew most of the weekend, as well.

Knitting is also progressing.  I finished the blue socks I was knitting last week, and started this week on the pink pair that is the last hank of yarn I got in Hillsborough - beautiful variegated dark pinks to burgundy from Cherry Hill Farms.  I had lost one of my size 1 double pointed needles, so went to the yarn shop in town to get another pair.  I decided to get a long cable needle to try to magic loop method of knitting in the round.  I also bought a neat book - Sensational Knitted Socks, that gives formulas for making socks with all kinds of gauge yarn, sizes and patterns.  I decided that since this pair of socks is for trying new things, I'd try the pattern for toe-up socks, with short-row toes and heels.  On the needle this sock looks like it would be too small, but when I try it on it fits beautifully.  I'm really going to like these, I think.

Wednesday I spent the day with my parents.  It was really enjoyable to sit and talk (and knit).   My mom belongs to a knitting group that makes afghans for wounded soldiers.  They make 6 x 9 rectangles that are put together to make the afghans.  She had several that were ready to be delivered.  They're nice and soft and cozy.  They send these to the VA in Richmond.  I may have to make a set of rectangles and put them in the mail to her for that project.

We also went to check out a new knitting shop that had opened near her.  It's called Knit 2 Unwind.  I found some different sock yarn there - some bamboo yarn, and some that was wool/bamboo/nylon blend.  I bought 3 skeins, and my mom bought me 2 skeins.  So my yarn stash is building, too.  I haven't done the self-patterning yarn before (other than stripes).  One of the skeins makes a pattern - that should be interesting.

It's been a busy week, and there are still 3 days left of vacation. 

No comments: