Wednesday, February 2, 2011

UFO #6 Complete

Judy Laquidara of Patchwork Times is running a UFO Challenge for the year.  Each month, she picks a number, and you are challenged to complete that number UFO on your list.  I have my list with my top 12 selected on my sidebar.  January's number was 6.  For me, #6 was a wallhanging I made as part of a challenge on the Yahoo group, The Quilting Post.  We had a particular challenge fabric we had to use.  I chose to make a fractured panel out of the fabric, and used that as the focal point for a "stained glass window" or "garden gate" style quilt. All it needed was quilting and binding.  I finished the binding the first week of January, but it took me until this past weekend to actually get all the loose thread ends clipped.

Here it is finished:

And a close-up of the "fractured" panel in the center:

This is done by cutting multiple repeats of the same section of fabric, and then subcutting each one from a slightly different starting place, then sewing those repeats all together.    The side panels are of the challenge fabric.  I really like how this turned out.  I took it in to the office on Monday and have it hanging on my office wall.

See how everyone else did with their January challenge here.
February's number is 10 - for me, my fall tablerunner.  I need to trim the sides, quilt and bind. So that will probably be my sewing for Saturday - maybe I can have it ready to hand stitch down binding during the Superbowl.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Fascinating. I was so inspired by your wonderful quilt that I searched out the book and ordered it.

Gail said...

What an interesting quilt design. I would think you had to stay very focused to ensure your cutting was always according to pattern.

Heather said...

That is really stunning! Congrats on getting it finished. I'll bet it looks great in your office!

Heather said...

And thanks so much for your kind comment on my January finish! ;o)